Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 10, 2019

~~ 2019: Review - Part III ~~




And the final set of learnings!!


.......................................................................................................................................
The need to be busy: We all know what this is. We are in this weird era, where doing nothing, even for just a few minutes, looks like a huge waste of time. It makes us feel all guilty, like we have missed out on something. All of us, want to be busy, want to know what's going on, what’s new, what's happening everywhere. Somehow, it makes us feel good. Its makes us feel that we are not left out in whatever race we are in. When I get into the bus every single day - I see all necks bent down, except of course, the driver(Thank God), staring at their phone, scrolling mindlessly, watching videos, listening to music or checking whatever it is in their laptop – I need to admit, I am one of them too. It’s very rare that I try to look out the window and just savor the moment. Sometimes I wonder, how did we ever pass time when there were no mobile phones, portable computers, music or news at our fingertips? For the first few months of this year, when I used to leave my smartphone at home, carrying only a non-smart phone to office because of ODC restrictions - I got the much needed time to look out the window during those travel hours - Just sitting in silence, looking at world wake up to life or wind up for the day, watching the sun rise from the horizon, listening to the birds waking up, those beautiful chirping noises, witnessing the sky turn orange with the sunset during the evening ride back, just letting your mind wander, has much more power than mindless scrolling in a digital device. It is pure bliss :) Those first few months of this year, with smartphone safely left at home, have taught me that it’s not necessary to be busy to be happy. 

Seek closure: I am someone who needs closure. When we feel we’ve been on the receiving side of someone’s wrongdoing, we want resolution, we want to know why, we want to explain our stand and give the person(s) in that situation a chance to explain. There was a deep personal situation for which I was seeking such closure from quite some time. A simple apology or a valid explanation was all I was looking for. I wanted the person(s) to be accountable for their actions, which would have helped me move on. I waited for all this for years together – I was stuck in the same zone, waiting for it, only to realize this year that I was never going to get it. The person/persons involved did not feel guilty, and with years, they seemed to have used the time to strongly assert themselves into believing that they were never wrong. No wonder, there was no apology. I realized finally that holding on was just making it bad for me and not them. I finally decided to stop seeking any closure. I might not be able to forget, nor be able to forgive, but yes, I can let go of the need to seek closure. I have.

Recognition matters: My last promotion was so late, it lost its charm when I finally got it. When I went to Australia, I was expected to take care of my existing teams here and client teams there (it was twice the work I was doing here). I used to be online the whole of Australia and India working hours. I had to dive in and learn stuff on the floor that I needn’t even know offshore. I pushed myself hard. In the short stint that I was there, I was spot awarded by clients twice (not boasting, but it was a stark contrast to how many times one gets recognized internally even in a year). Having been in an environment, where recognition seldom happens, and even if it happens, it loses its charm due to the timing, it was a different feeling altogether – that instant recognition was a big surprise and mattered much. The gesture that touched me the most, was when my client leader emailed me that he had mentioned my contribution in one of his high executive meetings and there was a significant applause when my name was announced. I was on a plane back to India then and I read it only once I landed. I was on cloud nine. Now, to think about it, I am essentially from a vendor company, there was no obligation on his part to mention me in a client-only meeting, there was no reason for him to let me know about the applause as well – but, this is where the leadership differed. I should admit that only these gestures actually kept me going for the whole year. The honesty, the transparency, the ability to appreciate - was the best learning I got this year from my client leader.   I have made it a point to follow such leadership traits in my career. If you are a leader, manager, make sure you appreciate, recognize & thank people, at the right time. Believe me, it matters.
And that's a wrap on the learnings ...
Share a post of your learnings for the year as well -  looking forward to read them :) 
.............................................

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts about my thoughts???Do let me know :)