Search This Blog

Friday, December 06, 2019

~~ Ribbon ~~

Last week, as I was travelling back home from work, I chose to watch a movie "Ribbon" on Amazon Prime (one of the reasons I have not been reading this year during my travel time is because I wanted to make the most of my one year Amazon Prime Subscription - I had planned that I will only opt it for a year and thus, this was one of the goals too). There was no particular reason that I chose this movie - it was just a random selection as I had just completed Season 01 of a series and wanted to watch something else before moving on to Season 02.
 
The movie was about a married, working, independent, young couple who had not planned or basically were not prepared to think about a baby yet, but now had to deal with it.  The movie progressed slowly portraying the confusions of a young married couple, the growing bond as the years roll by in a marriage, the ego clashes, the problems working women face when they have to go on maternity leaves and then the problems they face when they report back to work, how a working woman suddenly needs to choose between career and stay-at-home options, how the couple have to grapple with various responsibilities, how the current generation husband is or should be, the dilemma on opting day care or resorting to a house-help, so on and so forth. There was no unnecessary drama or songs or cheesy dialogues - none of that stuff. It was just life - plainly being lived. Real portrayals of actual problems in life and how life is not made of just dreamy, romantic happily ever afters - how life is also full of challenges, "why me's?", adjustments, compromises, little happiness here and there, memories, love, understanding etc etc.
 
 
As I kept watching, I found myself hoping that they had not touched upon the subject of child abuse,  but then, it was. It hurt me to watch the movie after that - not because of the way it is dealt, because it has been dealt the right way, but the reality of such things happening around us, just hit hard. It also did not help when the movie ended abruptly with no closure on that subject - and that's probably a real portrayal of what happens in reality too. That hit me hard too. I was pretty upset after watching the movie.
 
To calm down and to distract myself, I checked FB and what do I see?  News floating about of a doctor's horrific death.  I was disgusted. I still am.
 
Is there no kindness or sense of humanity in this world anymore? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts about my thoughts???Do let me know :)