Search This Blog

Friday, December 13, 2019

~~Dance like no one's watching, but what if someone is!! ~~

One of my greatest joys of life, is dancing. I love dancing. Though I don’t dance as regularly now, it was different when I was younger. I’d switch on the tape recorder, insert some random cassette and start dancing. And believe me, the dancing would be inclusive of all the relevant expressions needed. I’d dance for every song that’d be playing irrespective of the emotion being dealt and I’d try to imitate the actual heroine or the character from the song.
One such fine noon –  I was home all alone. I don’t remember where everyone else was. It was a perfect opportunity to dance to heart’s content. So I chose some random cassette and began. Typically each side of the cassette took at least half an hour and once a side was done we had to switch the cassette sides. Half an hour later, I was about to flip the cassette’s side when I heard a sinister laugh followed by a slow whisper of something I didn’t wait to listen πŸ‘Ώ I screamed and screamed, ear-splitting screams – only to hear laughter ringing in between those screams. I got more scared and there were more screams and of course, more laughter. With my eyes closed shut during the screams, my heart racing like mad, I began trembling with fear.  I was in the drawing room and I knew I was all alone. I did not know what to do. The laughing suddenly stopped. I mustered all the courage and slowly opened my eyes to face my fears – to face whoever it was, but, there was not a soul in sight. I was scared to explore the rest of the rooms in the house. I stood rooted to the spot not knowing what to do next. I then heard someone say “Hey, Deepthi, psst, psst, am here” πŸ˜₯ I let out a muffled scream πŸ˜³ The ghost knew my name too πŸ˜³ Oh dear lord, what was I to do? But then, the voice sounded familiar. I slowly scanned the room, just in time to catch a shadow outside the closed windows. My heart skipped a beat πŸ˜³ My horror-struck eyes met those big black twinkling eyes πŸ˜₯ Those eyes were staring at me through a small gap in the window that we had deliberately left open for the postman to drop any posts.  I screamed, he laughed, I screamed some more, he laughed some more πŸ™ 
And then I heard amidst my screams – “Hey its me, its just me, stop screaming, Arjun here, I came to fetch Nithin. Is he there? We are going to play now, ask him to come”  πŸ™„
Yep – It was just a friend from the neighborhood who had come to fetch my brother for a cricket match πŸ™„ . He heard the songs playing from the drawing room and was certain one of us would be there. He thought it would be a better idea to peep in from the window to call out to my brother instead of using the door bell – so he need not disturb anyone’s afternoon nap πŸ˜‘  Instead he found me and my histrionics πŸ˜† He seemed to have tried to grab my attention, but then, I just wouldn’t stop dancing and at the first instance that he did succeed getting my attention, I had already begun screaming πŸ˜† 
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
Now – here’s your prompt if you want to take up.
You are all alone at home/office/wherever – you have just finished cooking/dancing/painting/singing/writing/reading/working – doing whatever it is that you love to do. As you finish, slicing the silence, there’s a voice that says, “Well, now that you are done, can I start?”  …. 
Write a horror story with this premise and a word limit of 500 words ..
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts about my thoughts???Do let me know :)