Search This Blog

Monday, February 12, 2018

~~[Post 12] - Who I am not, at this point in time, but might be, way in future ~~

I bet, we all have our own bucket lists. Things we want to do before we bid goodbye from here.  I have one too. A pretty long one at that. But, have you ever taken a closer look at that list and noticed that sometimes there are wishes listed there that we would sooooooo love to do, we’d have added it to our ever-swelling-list after something inspired us, a movie, a book, a friend who couldn’t stop raving about it etc etc, we liked that very idea and we’d really want to do it, yet we also have a nagging feeling that, when the time comes to decide, we might just shy away from it and never take it to action. I have such conflicted bucket list wishes and this post is about such 5 wishes, which at this point in time,  doesn’t seem likely to be fulfilled.
Getting a tattoo – I love tattoos. I have friends and cousins who have inked themselves with massive tattoos and I always go “Awwww” accompanied with a series of questions all aiming at the pain inflicted. I have to admit, that , at those times, I get momentarily inspired to get myself inked with a tiny star or a tiny cute heart or a tiny little butterfly or anything tiny but cute. But that’s where it exactly stops. A little while later, the practicality of the whole thing looms large, reminding me, that I am scared of even a tetanus injection. A simple blood test can be my nurse’s worst nightmare. The guy/girl giving me a tattoo would just quit the profession, go deaf due to my screams and might end up going out of business if they’d try something on me. This wish is the very last one on my list 😛
Bungee Jumping – As much as I fear roller-coaster rides, whenever I have been to Indian exhibitions/carnivals, I have dared myself to ride as many rides as possible. Even the biggest, longest, steepest rides in Disney land or Universal studios or Six flags did not manage to deter me from trying them. I have been on every single one of the scary rides there, with my eyes shut closed, screaming my lungs out, crying and giving splitting headaches to whoever dared to sit with me on these rides. I have also tried zip line rides here in India, on a very small scale though and have managed to enjoy it! I have surprised myself at the courage that I have shown by trying these rides. So, around the time when I tried all these, I added Bungee jumping to my bucket list. Its been there in the list from a very very long long long time. I know my heart will be in my mouth and I would die on the way up if I ever tried this plunging-to-death stunt. I know that,  this is going to be safely on my list, never to be struck-off 😛
Attend a Bengali wedding – Ever since I watched Devdas, of course, the grand SLB movie, I have always wanted to attend a Bengali wedding. Dont ask me why. Its some teenage wish that I seem to have had after watching the movie. Now, it would have been possible to attend one, probably years ago, but, now, with all my current Bengali friends already married, seems like a wish that’d never see light. Ah, wait, I seem to have forgotten this young eligible bachelor in our very own NBAP group. Dude, you better invite me for your wedding (a Bengali wedding, pretty please)!  Note to NBAP group – we are all meeting at this guy’s wedding. Mark the date, whenever that is.
Have a dog as a pet – I have heard and even seen for myself – dogs are the only faithful beings who love you the most without you having to do much, except of course, love them back. No tantrums, no tit for tat, no arguments, no inflated egos, nothing of that sort. Just pure love. It is so very true that pet dogs are the only ones who dearly miss you when you are not around and are the only ones at home who are truly happy when you return home 😛 🙂 I do want to experience that kind of pure selfless love from an animal. Only problem, I am damn scared of them. I just cannot pet animals. Try as I might. I cannot.
Go on a lone trip with just a backpack – As much as I love the idea of going on a trip all by myself, take a vacation all alone, with just a backpack, no strings attached – its something that I love only as an idea. I like to make vacation memories with people I love, not alone. It took me ages to go to a restaurant all alone to have just a cup of coffee – necessity drove me to do that, and nothing else. Its not that bad really, going alone I mean. Many do it. Many actually prefer being alone when they eat, watch a movie, travel etc. But I know, I cannot do it. It just makes me sad to go to a restaurant or a movie or a vacation alone. So going on a trip alone, as exotic as it sounds, I just might never do it.
Well, there goes my 5 bucket list items that I might never even go about trying. Now, there is another reason, I wrote this post. There are a lot of such things in life, which I never thought I’d be able to do and I never even thought I’d have a situation to do such things at all, but I did end up doing it. It need not be great big things, I mean even the simplest of things, like breaking a tender coconut open or going for a coffee and a snack all alone to a restaurant, zip-lining, watching a horror movie in a theater.. A lot of such unexpected things, which in my wildest dreams, I never thought, I’d do, I eventually did – due to unexpected circumstances, a need, a necessity, just being-brave-for-the-moment-thingy or a simple challenge thrown at me,  by someone up above.
So, I wrote this post also for my future-self, for, if I ever, get around doing one of these not-quite-possible-bucket-list-items, I can come back and reminisce at how I had thought at one point in my life, that these things were never even remotely possible. To come back and realize,  how life had proven me wrong. To realize, that its never too late to try any new thing in life.
Have you ever done something in life, you never thought you’d do? I’d love to hear about them. Let me know either as a post of your own or as a comment here. Do you have any wishes which at this current moment seem very unlikely to be fulfilled? Jot them down in a post of your own or as a comment here.
Also, lets remember to come back to this post, years later, to see if we still feel the same. If not, let’s go ahead fulfilling them and striking them off our lists 🙂

2 comments:

  1. Great list! I too want to bungee jump and go on a lone trip but will never have a tattoo because it contains metals and they are toxic. And by Bengali wedding I'm sure you mean Soham ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only one i did was backpack by myself. And i love to watch movies alone, sit alone at coffeshops, though i draw the line about restaurants, that is depressing to eat alone.

    But i truly understand the wish to attend a bengali wedding that too is on my list :)

    The only thing i found myswlf doing and never in my wildest dreams did i ever think of the possibility is that i am a excessively
    possessive Mom :O

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts about my thoughts???Do let me know :)