Search This Blog

Sunday, June 18, 2017

~~ Day 17: Revelation ~~

Originally written on Dec 17 2015..

-------------------------------------

I was super elated when yesterday I received a comment on my first ever blog post in this(organization) space that was written ages ago (I am exaggerating – it was just 5+ years ago)… ! It means a lot when someone reads your old posts and even takes time to comment on them! Excited that I was, I went through couple of my older posts and well, to be frank, I was surprised, that few of them were even mine ... I mean, yes, I did write them, I swear and I double promise, but then how much I have grown in just few years was so evident from reading those past few posts! If you have some time, go on and read them… I am sure you’ll be surprised too!
I had first thought, I had transformed into a new-me onshore and that, I am still that new-me from onshore times, but only when I went through my old posts, I realized, that new-me-from-onshore has evolved by leaps and bounds!!  I remembered the funny quote that my best friend from school times (we are still in touch and we are still best friends) had made when the conversation focused on her married life & kids…When this conversation happened, I was not yet married, so yes, no kids obviously and she already had 2 kids. She had an early marriage and her first kid was born even before I had completed my Engineering. She gave birth to her second kid just when I was about to travel onshore… When I went to meet her after delivery, I was overwhelmed with the house-hold responsibilities that she had to take care of at such a tender age (she actually is 4 months younger to me) and she had so nicely gelled into! There I was, who still felt & was treated like an adolescent kid by all experienced people in the team (Cannot forget those first teams who gave us freshers a parental atmosphere) & here she was, a mature mom of 2 kids, talking mommy things that I had heard only auntie’s talk about and well, never listened to any of it! We had our share of conversations and she was still the naughty friend who I was still best friends with, but she had kind of “grown-up” grown up  – I told her so… She grinned and said – Yes, that’s how it is, once you have kids, you just grow up, along with your kids 
And, bam, I just needed that new comment on an old post to go back to this conversation that me and my friend had had years back and have this sudden scary revelation! Have I “grown-up” grown up now? Have I become less of me and more of a mommy? Are my conversations always revolving around my kid, fever, calpol, immunization, cold, color of the phlegm, solidness of the poop & of course the working mommy guilt? In my first project here in this current organization, the team was a mix of wedding-date-fixed gals (read: me and a few others), single-for-long-long-long-time guys, a few married guys and 2 new mommies…and well, during lunch, the mommies would sit side by side and start their mommy discussion, and , once they started, there was no stopping them… They would go on and on about their kids, comparing milestones, oohing and aahing about those first words and tiny steps, and we single girls would though love to hear every single bit of it, after a while, would look at each other rolling our eyes waiting for them to finish… I am pretty sure I have become that mommy now! And , well, I always thought you need another mommy to go on & on about your child, but shockingly, no, anyone who will listen to you patiently, would just do, so much so, even a blog space would do, mommy memoirs ring-a-bell?
See –  A new comment paved the way to a revelation, care to comment? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts about my thoughts???Do let me know :)