Search This Blog

Sunday, January 20, 2019

~~ [Weekly Prompts – 19.02]: When I Grow Up ~~

Originally written on Jan 11 2019
...........................................................

So, this happened yesterday.
I asked my daughter, a question – the same question we all were asked umpteen number of times when we were kids. I asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up. This is not the first time I have asked her this. Every time I have asked her this in the past, she always has said, “You”. It’s an amazing feeling when your kids tell you they want to be like you, right? So, well, maybe, sometimes, just sometimes, I ask her this to hear her responding with a “YOU” all over again and feel good about myself 😛 – hey, like I said, only sometimes.
There was this one time, where she did try to figure out, what that meant and the outcome was this(you have to click the hyperlink and read that post)! But never mind, my little girl wanted to be like me and it couldn’t get any better that that.
Yesterday was one such “sometime” where I wanted to hear a “YOU”  but, boy, was I in for a surprise or what!?
As I was anticipating the response, she screamed – wait for it – “A lazy girl”! 
Yes, that’s what my little one said yesterday. The word “Gobsmacked” doesn’t do justice to whatever I felt when she revealed what she wanted to be and I was holding my breath, wide eyed, waiting for her to follow it with a “just like you” but thank God, she didn’t.
I was about to exhale and that’s when she chose to follow it with a “Just likeeeeeeeeeeeeeee” .  I was about to scream a “Nooooooooooooo” when I heard her say “Ajja. See, Ajja doesn’t have to do anything, he just gets up, lazes around, listens to Carvaan and goes to sleep”. Ajja is her grandfather, my dad. I heard him chuckle somewhere in his room. My mom who was in the kitchen burst out laughing. And I exhaled to my relief.  The kid has her future sorted out, don’t you think?
Well, kids observe everything, and you have to be careful around them, like in this case, though it was funny, it might turn out be my worst nightmare later. So, after the laughter subsided, which was very confusing for my kid as I think she was quite serious when she answered what she did, I decided, I had to ask her the same question in a different way and I did.  I will write a mommy memoir on that sometime later.
This post was to give out the prompt and so, for this week’s prompt, tell us about how you answered this question in your childhood – I am pretty sure none of us envisioned ourselves in front of a computer/laptop screen. I know, NONE OF US, right?  All of us might have had dreams of doing something else/becoming someone else, of course, until, life happened. So write about that kid that you were, with a different dream and a different passion and if you want, how you ended up here, good or bad? I know we can pursue dreams even with this job, and if that’s the case, write how you managed to do so. If it’s too personal, you can also fictionalize this prompt and weave a story around childhood dreams turning into passion or otherwise. You get to decide! Go on, write 🙂
If you attempt this prompt – Thank you 🙂 and
  • Please make sure you leave a tag “Weekly Prompts – 2019” on your posts.
  • Please link the post that gives out the prompts for the week when you post your response to the prompt (so people know where it all started)
  • For the folks who want to know where it all started – refer here 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts about my thoughts???Do let me know :)