Search This Blog

Sunday, January 20, 2019

~~[A Year In Prompts] : Dreams ~~

Originally written on Dec 14 2018...
........................................................

TGIF!! How was the week that’s gone by? Mine was quite busy with work, function at home and a colleague’s wedding.  Looking forward to a silent weekend.
I have to mention – It was heartwarming to note that most of you wanted me to continue the prompt series in the new year! That’s really good to know. It will definitely challenge me, to collate a few of my thoughts and try to come up with an interesting prompt every single post.  Let me dream big and aim for those 52 prompt – posts next year!
Speaking of dreams – Don’t they seem very very real, until you wake up to the sound of the cooker’s whistle or the alarm clock? I am sure all of us dream. Some say its the inner desire that manifests itself as dreams, and I believed the same too, for a long time, until I dreamt of someone very close and very dear to me, dying. It felt so real – I had to wake up and I did. Not that I knew I was dreaming, but it did not feel right to see that lovely person die even if it was in a dream, if you get what I mean. It was definitely not one of my inner desires at all. I have a few books on my to-read list which deals with dreams, but I haven’t been a fan of non-fiction ever, so though an interesting area, I am planning to pick it up for reading sometime later in life, when I am more older and maybe wiser πŸ˜›
There are only a few dreams that I remember vividly and I remember them as they made me sad. Then, there are those days where I know I did dream, but I don’t remember much of it, except the fact that everything in the dream felt real.  Sometimes, it so happens, that you are still hungover on the dream as soon as you wake up and instead of spending a minute or two thinking about it, you decide that you’ll park the “analysis” for later in the day, the mundane activities for the day takes over and then the dream just slips. This has happened with me, many a times, where I know I have dreamt something surreal and I remembered it at the time I woke up, but had to park it for later in the day, and then for the life of me, couldn’t remember what it was. I don’t like that feeling a bit. I feel cheated that I cannot recollect my own dream πŸ˜›
So, I have made it a point to not rush in those first few minutes as I wake up for the day. It needs a lot of self restraint to just lie there and think about dreams for few minutes when you have so many things to do before you leave for office, but I still do it. Sometimes absolute laziness helps, you see, am not a morning person πŸ˜›  I lay on my bed for a few minutes after I wake up every morning and try to think about the dream, if there were any. I practice the same with my daughter as she wakes up for the day. After wishing her a bright morning , I ask her if she has had a dream and if yes, who was in it and what had happened. I narrate her my dream if I have had one. That’s our morning routine before we begin the activities of the day forward.  When she has nothing to offer, she says, “Naaa…Just Deeeeeeeep sleeeeeeeeep, ” and we get on with the day πŸ˜›
So, do you dream? Do you remember them? Do you analyse your dream? Have you experienced any specific dreams unfold in reality and felt a sense of De Ja Vu!?
As a prompt for this week, try to narrate an interesting dream that you have ever had. If you don’t have one or you don’t want to reveal any of your own dreams(which is okay), then write a fictional story with dreams as the theme – the only condition – the story that’s unfolding as we read should be, in actual, a dream – Yeah, Inception mode on!!
Go on, write write write πŸ™‚

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts about my thoughts???Do let me know :)