Search This Blog

Thursday, January 14, 2016

~~ Rants & Rants & Some More Rants ~~

Originally written in my other blog space on 14-Oct-2015 - Syncing here today
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Warning – total incoherent rant alert! 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~Gone are those days – When we had no qualms of travelling alone on an overnight journey in a bus…  Where parents could leave kids with neighbors in case they had to attend to any urgent work outside….When parents could let their kids play with other kids in a colony/verandah/park without having to watch them like hawks!   When parents used to feel great about their kids being clicked for being cute! When we used to feel happy about being clicked for being cute! When we used go to school, without any fear, on the way or in the school!  When parents had no necessity to educate toddlers about what is good touch and what is not! Believe me, when my 4 year old looks at me with those lovely small curious eyes holding a puzzled expression as I explain her about good/bad touch – my heart breaks! I am not sure if the current media is successful in doling out sensational/breaking/important news, but it has successfully managed to create a new breed of paranoid parents! 
~~ Speaking of paranoia – I have to say, ever since I started working, I have almost always travelled alone, however long be the journey ….But after my little one came along, I realized I couldn’t travel alone anymore! For the 1 or 2 times that I did have to travel alone with her, I couldn’t sleep a wink the whole night – Well, apart from the fear about the reasons stated above, there was this another aspect of having to leave the baby alone, when bus stops for just few minutes at unearthly hours for loo-breaks! You see, how do I leave my sleeping baby alone? What if something happens to her in my absence? What if the bus leaves before I come back? What if she wakes up when I am away? What if I board a wrong bus and that wrong bus driver refuses to believe that I am in the wrong bus and just speeds away?  – Oh, there were so many other awful thoughts running in my mind that I simply let the loo-break pass! There was also this another guilty-part of me wondering why I had never thought about these important possibilities earlier (well, there is an explanation to that as well – I had never ever used these loo-breaks ever in the past – I would probably be snoring away to glory to not even realize when the bus had stopped and resumed its journey back))!!!! After the horrible experience during the first travel, when I had to gear up for my second lone travel with her, I decided that I would fall asleep as soon as I board the bus so I would never know when the bus stops for a break next! But as always the case, Murphy had other plans for me & well, I spent another sleepless night in the bus staring outside at the passing trees, blinking stars and thinking about adult diapers!! I had decided by the end of my second lone travel, that, from then on, I would book flight tickets if I ever had to travel alone with my little one! It meant spending more in terms of money and almost took the same duration as an overnight bus travel (airports are quite far from both FROM and TO homes).. But I knew, I would be one relieved (if you know what I mean) mommy at the end of these lone travels!
~~ Speaking of relieved, well, as I had mentioned in one of my earlier post, you can feel good about being the world’s best mommy, only if the other experienced good mommies let you feel so! Oh boy, the amount of sniggering that I had to face when I declared my decision and practiced it too – I was literally considered a show off (and am probably still considered one) for opting air travel when an overnight bus journey would have saved me (point to be noted – not them) a couple of thousands!  Would you believe that almost all who did have a thing or two to say for this convenience choice of mine, were of my own gender and were even mommies, at that? (no offense to any nice mommies reading this) Well, I couldn’t believe & I tried offering explanations to a few about why I preferred spending than suffering – It was after all for convenience & safety! Ok, take it from me – explaining such things to other “great” mommies is BIG BIG BIG FAT MISTAKE! They would simply roll their eyes and snub you by saying that they have full control over their (in) secure thoughts & full bladder!   Well, I know, if they really cared, they would have understood without me having to explain or would have just volunteered to accompany me during these journeys to save poor-me from MY unwarranted expenses! Wouldn’t they?
~~ Huh, to think I started with paranoia spread by media to ever-evaluating-great-mommies, maybe I should rant often!

1 comment:

Any thoughts about my thoughts???Do let me know :)