Search This Blog

Sunday, January 17, 2016

~~ Mommy Memoirs # 4 ~~


Originally written on 30-July-2015
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the news flooded with a single grandfatherly image & with her school declaring a holiday – my ever-curious kid asked me “why”?! !? Though, I didn’t get into too many details, I told her that he was a great man and had now left us all!

She – Amma, why?

Me – He had grown old, Babba!

She was silent for some time and then asked,

She – Amma, will you grow old too??

Me – Yes, Babba…

She – When?

Before I could reply, she volunteered – Is it when you’d have all grey hairs on your head, just like him?

Me – Yes, Babba….

With one swift movement, she pulled me towards her and held my head closer for a thorough inspection and, of course, found a lot of real grey hairs popping out amidst the golden ones (she says so for the grey ones which are lucky enough to get coated with mehendi, which I apply once in a blue moon) & the natural brown ones!

She – You already have grey hairs!

Me – Hmmm…..

Then, all of a sudden, she hugged me tight & started to sob!  I was startled by this reaction, but then I hugged her back, patted her gently and asked her what happened!  The muffled declaration she made amidst those tiny little sobs had me dumbstruck and I am sure would probably stay with me forever!

She – Amma, I don’t want you to have any grey hairs, I don’t want you to grow old and I never want you to leave me! Okay?

I tightened my embrace, continued my gentle patting & with a failed attempt at preventing tears flooding my eyes, replied to her with a soft – Okay!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


*Babba – Little Baby

2 comments:

  1. Awwww sweet... Hugs for her..

    Btw.. this looks like a good concept for a Hair dye a .. what say ?

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts about my thoughts???Do let me know :)